Internet Explorer is a known browser and is compatible with nearly all devices. Sometimes, users have a complain that Internet Explorer has stopped working. Though it says that it is checking for a solution, but the problem continues. Let’s discuss some fixes related to this issue.
Ways to Fix Internet Explorer has Stopped Working
Why internet explorer stops working?
When the programs are not able to access library files called dll files, then the user may come across Internet explorer has stopped working issue. DLL files are dynamic-link libraries using which programs can communicate and share data. Usually, they function properly, but after being damaged or misplaced these files stop working properly. Damaged cache files or incompatible plugins also cause Internet Explorer to stop working.
Quick fixes before the recommended fixes
Generally, users are accustomed to their browsers to browsing everything such as visiting social media, websites or watch online programs. It stores crucial personal data like history, bookmarks, cached images and files, accounts, passwords, etc. To prevent yourself from losing important data while using the fixes, especially settings like browser reset, system restore, you need to save it.
You need to copy the temporary IE files completely and keep them to a safe spot.
Temporary Internet Explorer files location in Windows 10 is as follows:
To get a complete copy of those IE related files, it is recommended to use third-party free backup software to help. We are taking an example of EaseUS Todo Backup. It offers easy and smart backup features. It enables the users to backup internet browser temporary files on a regular basis with incremental backup or differential backup. Follow these steps now:
Disable the add-ons
To improve your user experience, Internet Explorer provides extensions in the form of add-ons. They may be added manually or come with other programs on your computer. Faulty add-ons, often conflict with your browser or the other add-ons and cause the Internet Explorer has stopped working issue. To solve this issue, see the steps below:
- Press Windows key +R and type “inetcpl.cpl”. press Enter.
- Go to programs and click on Manage add-ons.
- A list of all your Internet Explorer add-ons will open. Disable each add-on from the list. Just click on the add-on and then click on “Disable”.
- Restart your computer and check if the Internet Explorer is working or not. If you find that it is working fine now, then enable all add-ons and disable them one by one. Check each time if Internet Explorer is working properly to find out which add-on was creating a problem. Once you identify the problematic add-on, disable it.
Faulty toolbars conflict with your browser or other toolbars and cause the issue of Internet Explorer has stopped working. Follow the below steps to find out which toolbar is causing the problem:
- Press Windows key + R and type “appwiz.cpl”. Press Enter.
- From the list of programs and features, right-click on each toolbar. Click on Uninstall.
- Tap on Yes to confirm.
- Now restart your computer and see if your internet explorer is working or not.
- If Internet Explorer is working properly now, then reinstall the toolbars one by one and check if the problem is solved or not. After identifying the corrupt one, uninstall it.
Change the hardware acceleration settings.
- Press Windows key +R. type “inetcpl.cpl”. Press Enter.
- Go to advanced. Make sure that “Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering” checkbox is ticked. If it is not checked, tick it and if it is checked, un-tick it. Click on OK.
- Now restart your computer.
Reset security zones to their default levels.
Follow these steps to reset security zones to their default levels:
- Press Windows +R and type “inetcpl.cpl”. Press Enter.
- Go to security and click on “Reset all zones to default level”.
- Click on OK.
- Restart your computer and see if Internet Explorer is working properly now.
Reinstall Internet Explorer
If the above fixes are not working, reinstall Internet Explorer using the below steps:
- Press Windows key+R. type “appwiz.cpl”. Hit Enter.
- Click on “Turn Windows features on or off”.
- Uncheck the box near “Internet Explorer”.
- Click on yes to confirm.
- Click OK.
- Restart your computer.
- Now press Windows key+R and type “appwiz.cpl”. Press Enter.
- Click on “Turn Windows features on or off”.
- Mark the Internet Explorer checkbox. Click OK.
- Wait for Internet Explorer to turn on.
- Try again and see if Internet Explorer is working or not.
Try above tricks, one or more will surely work for you.
Read more: Microsoft edge opens then closes
Read more: How to Change IP address on Android