It is very simple to change the IP address on Android. There may be various reasons for changing the IP address and set a static IP on the phone. Running a mobile web server or sharing mobile files with FTP server software needs a change in IP address. Many times, users want to use the phone as a Wi-Fi camera which also requires a fixed IP address.
How to find a network IP for your Android?
First of all, you have to find an available IP address on your network. See the steps below:
On a Windows computer:
- Go to the start menu.
- Type “cmd” in the run box.
- Click on the “Command Prompt desktop app”.
- Type command “ipconfig/all” in the command prompt window. Press Enter.
- The result will show a lot of information.
- In default gateway, you will find the IP address of your home router. It is the lowest IP address on the network.
- IPv4 Address is the IP address of the device in which you run the command from.
- DNS servers are the servers that your internet service providers use to look up domain names while you browse the internet.
- You can use the ping command to find a free IP address on your network. Type the ping command starting from the router IP.
- If you get a response with ping time then there may be a device on the network with that IP address.
- If it says “destination host unreachable”, it means the IP address is available.
How to change the IP address on Android
To switch your phone from DHCP to a static IP, follow the steps discussed below:
- Go to settings under Network & internet.
- Tap on Wi-Fi.
- Press and hold the connected W-Fi network till a menu pop-up.
- Tap on the Modify network.
- You will now get a password change screen for that network.
- Click on Advanced options. Scroll down to find the IP settings section.
- Tap on DHCP which is by default. Change the settings to Static.
- After changing IP settings, a form will appear from which you can manually configure your Android network settings. Change your Android’s IP also.
- Now configure other network settings also, as the IP is static. it will need manual configuration.
- Enter the IP address that you discovered using the Ping command.
- In the Gateway section, enter the default gateway IP address.
- For DNS 1 and DNS 2, enter the IP addresses of the DNS servers recorded above.
- Let the other fields, set as default in this form.
- Click on Save, after changing the IP settings.
Read more: itprohelps