In this article, we are going to discuss about how to fix outlook data file cannot be accessed issue. The problem is also known as Outlook error 0x8004010f code. Though Outlook faces different kind of errors, which are usually denoted by certain code in alphanumeric form, the error “Outlook data file cannot be accessed” is very common among them.
You may face this issue anytime while working. You may suddenly get a message “Outlook PST file is in use and cannot be accessed”. Now, let’s discuss how we can solve this issue of Outlook data file cannot be accessed.
The error could also harm MS Outlook and affect its performance. This problem is really annoying and could also prevent access to Outlook data files.
Reasons for Outlook data file cannot be accessed error:
There may be many sources of this error, most common among there are:
- Location of Outlook data files: if Outlook data files, which are in (.pst) format are located at the wrong place, you may face the issue of “Outlook data file cannot be accessed”.
- Sometimes the problem is due to corrupted Outlook profile. Delete that profile and create a new one.
- It is possible that the Outlook data files have been moved to a different location. Transferring the Outlook .pst files to another location on your disc or computer also causes this error.
- May be after up gradation, the current Outlook profile has been corrupted.
- Outlook data file, if not tested properly, could also result into 0x8004010f error.
You will come to know about this problem when you are trying to send or receive an email in Outlook. A message will appear saying that “0x8004010f: Outlook data file cannot be accessed” or “0x8004010f: The operation failed. An object could not be found”.
You can try following methods to solve the issue:
Create a new profile (fix the PST file in use which could’nt be accessed manually)
You can delete your current Outlook profile and create a fresh one. Now set it as default profile. Follow below steps to delete current Outlook profile:
- Open Control Panel.
- Go to “All Control Panel Items”
- Click “Mail”
- Click on “Show Profiles”
- Select the profile name and click on “Remove”
Now create a new profile by using following steps:
- Go to “Control Panel”.
- Click on “All Control Panel Items”
- Click on “Mail”.
- Tap on “Show Profiles”
- Click on “Add”
- Enter a new name for fresh profile
- Click OK
- Enter details for “Logon information”, “User Information” and “Server Settings Information”. Your new Outlook profile is configured now.
Now, you can set your New Outlook Profile as default one, by these steps:
- Open MS Outlook
- Click “File”
- Go to “Account Settings”
- Click on the new Outlook profile.
- Now select “Set as Default”
- Now Restart Outlook, and check whether you are able to send and receive emails or not.
Changing folder Location to fix Outlook data file cannot be accessed error
You can also fix this error by changing saved folder’s location. Follow the steps:
- Go to MS Outlook
- Click on Account Settings
- Once Again click on Account Settings.
- Select default Outlook account, under the Email tab.
- Click on Change Folder.
- Click on “New Outlook Data File” from the New email delivery location.
- Give a name to the New Outlook data file
- Click OK
- Now, go to newly created data file
- Select “Inbox folder”
- Click OK
Close the screen and click on Send/Receive.
When the Outlook data file is in use and you are not able to access it, just check that your Outlook data has been completely removed or not. If the problem persists, and Outlook again shows “Outlook data file cannot be accessed, then try reinstall it after removing the client from the Control Panel.
The steps discussed above may vary from above procedure. A corrupt profile can also be repaired by taking the help of a third party software.
Related Query: Outlook Password Reset
Related Query: How to configure gmail in outlook